Current Committee Chair or Director listed next to committee/position title.
- AAM Committee Chair: Joseph Salomone – The Wall Street Journal
- Achievement Committee: Keith Kirchner – Lancaster Newspapers
- Advertising Committee: open
- Attendance Committee: Karen Thomas – Somerset Daily American
- Auditing Committee: Jane Pettigrew – Asbury Park Press
- Business Partner: Jim Smith – Steel City Corp.
- Chairperson Of The Board: Jeff Simmons – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- Citation Committee: Chris Miller – Advance Central Services
- Conference Committee: Joseph Salomone – The Wall Street Journal
- Constitution and By Laws: Dan Christ – Advance Central Services
- Adam Campbell – DE – Gannett Company
- Bill Lobb – PA – Reading Eagle
- Roque Carrasco – PA – The Indiana Gazette
- Jane Pettigrew – NJ – Asbury Park Press
- Tom Salvo – NJ – Press of Atlantic City
- Karen Thomas – PA – Daily American
- First Vice-President: Joseph Salomone – The Wall Street Journal
- Membership Committee: Bill Lobb – Reading Eagle
- Newspaper Carrier Committee: Chris Miller – Advance Central Services PA
- Nominating Committee: Jeff Simmons – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- Past Presidents’ Committee: Jeff Simmons – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- President: Dan Slep – Altoona Mirror
- Program Committee: Joseph Salomone – The Wall Street Journal
- Promotion Display Committee: Roque Carrasco – The Indiana Gazette
- Research Committee: Adam Campbell – Gannett Company
- Resolutions and Necrology: Chris Miller – Advance Central Services
- Second Vice-President: Chris Miller -Advance Central Services PA
- Secretary-Treasurer: Dan Christ – Advance Central Services PA
- Sergeant-at-Arms: Roque Carrasco – The Indiana Gazette
- State and National Regulations: Dan Christ – Advance Central Services
- Training Committee: Joseph Salomone – The Wall Street Journal
- Website: Adam Campbell – Gannett Company
Description- The AAM Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and shall serve for one year.
General Functions- The AAM Committee Chairperson shall keep abreast of AAM activities and pass along to the members any changes in the rules or reporting.
- Shall keep abreast of all changes in AAM rules and regulations and interpretations.
- Shall inform the Secretary/Treasurer so that this information can be disseminated to the membership promptly.
- Shall prepare a brief report on the AAM activities for each board meeting and conference.
- Shall alert our membership to changes which may be under consideration by the AAM Board of Directors.
Description- The Achievement Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for a period of one year.
General Functions- The Achievement Committee Chairperson shall seek, find, evaluate, and recommend to the Board of Directors, circulators which reflect credit on the circulation’s profession and/or the Association, through longstanding performance above and beyond the normal functions involved in practicing their profession.
- Shall receive recommendations for awards.
- Shall investigate the merits of the recommendations.
- Shall discuss the awards with the committee.
- Shall provide the Board of Directors with a full account of merits of the individuals.
- Shall assist the Board of Directors in any capacity it may deem advisable in the preparation and presentation of the award.
- Shall report at each Board of Directors meeting.
Description- The Second Vice-President shall acts as chairperson of this committee and shall serve for one year.
General Functions- The Advertising Committee Chairperson must mange the solicitation and processing of all advertising.
- To head the solicitation of all advertising.
- Coordinate all his/her efforts with Secretary-Treasurer who will arrange for printing and mailing.
- Make salespeople of all I-SCMA members. Advise them of potential advertisers, deadline dates and provide them with all necessary forms and information to enable them to effectively solicit advertising.
- When necessary, have forms prepared and printed for the solicitation of advertising.
- Maintain an up-to-date file of advertisers, ex-advertisers, and prospective advertisers, and pass this along to his/her successor.
- Check advertiser registration at each Conference and introduce all advertising representatives present at the General Meeting.
- When necessary, write copy for the Buyer’s Guide, reminding members to utilize the Buyer’s Guide and to patronize our business partners. When necessary, update I-SCMA BOD of advertising booked.
Description – The Attendance chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – It is the function of the Attendance Chairperson to promote attendance by creating interest among the members for the Business program and social activities, as well as the fellowship they will enjoy.
- Keep the membership informed on the time, place, and dates of the Annual conference.
- Keep in touch with the Program Chairperson concerning the program so this information can be passed along to the membership. List social activities planned as well as the business portion of the program.
- Send registration cards for hotel or motel along with any brochures to encourage early registration.
- Plan a brochure or flyer to stimulate interest in the conference.
- Report to the Board of Directors at each board meeting.
- Report to the membership during the annual business meeting the number of members registered.
Description – The Auditing chairperson is appointed by the President for one-year term.
General Functions – Annually, the Auditing Committee conducts audits of the account of the Treasurer for review by the Board of Directors and submission to the membership at the annual business meeting.
- Check all income, from dues, advertisers, and miscellaneous sources and verify that it has been deposited in the Association’s account and appears on the Treasurer’s report along with the proper bank balance at the beginning of the audit report.
- Check all bills and payments to arrive at the same figure shown on Treasurer’s report.
- Verify the outstanding dues and advertising accounts shown on the Treasurer’s report.
- Verify the Treasurer’s bank balance figure at the beginning and end of the audit period and also verify the net worth figure shown on the Treasurer’s report.
- All books and records are turned back to the Treasurer as soon as the audit report is completed.
- Prepare Audit report for the board of Directors.
BUSINESS PARTNER COMMITTEE
Description – The Business Partner chair/representative is voted upon by the Business Partner members at each annual meeting, with two term limit, and serves as a non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
General Functions – Represents the interests of the business partner members of I-SCMA.
- Shall attend all board meetings.
- Shall advise the board on matters relating to the business partners.
- Shall promote membership in the I-SCMA to all current and potential business partners.
- Offer advice to the conference and program committees with respect to business partner involvement in the annual conference.
- Promote business partner participation in the annual conference and any advertising vehicles such as the I-SCMA website and conference buyer guides.
Description – The immediate past President is to automatically become Chairperson of the Board of Directors and serve as its ex-officio member .
General Functions – The Chairperson of the Board of Directors shall lead the Board and give advice and assistance to the President when needed.
- The Chairperson of the Board of Directors shall attend all meetings and verify that there is a majority of the Board to constitute a quorum before official action is taken.
- The Chairperson of the Board of Directors will serve as the chairperson of the Nominating and Planning Committee. See Nominating and Planning Committee responsibilities.
- The Chairperson of the Board of Directors will serve as the chairperson of the Past Presidents Committee. See Past Presidents Committee responsibilities.
Description – The Citation Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President for one year.
General Functions – Recognize newspaper carriers who have performed outstanding service to their fellow man while carrying out the duties of their newspaper routes.
- Publicize committee function on the website, asking members to make every effort to recognize acts of heroism by newspaper carriers while they are delivering or collecting their routes.
- Request circulators to forward the names of the carriers and description of achievement.
- Arrange for time and place for presentation of suitable award as determined by the Directors, as promptly as possible.
- Recommend a Savings bond be awarded to all carriers whose acts resulted in saving lives or serious property damage.
Description – The Conference Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for a one-year term.
General Functions – The Conference Committee Chairperson investigates and recommends conference sites and presents recommendations to the Board for a decision. In addition, chairperson is involved in making conference arrangements.
- The Conference chairperson investigates and recommends conference sites. The requirements for a conference site are:
- Complimentary rooms for President and Secretary-Treasurer.
- Specific social and meeting rooms.
- Facilities for registration, promotion displays, and advertisers display.
- Registration space should be furnished.
- General Business Session rooms for 125 to 150 people plus a head table for panels/presenters along with audio/visual/wireless capacity.
- Social function rooms for welcome reception and banquet. At the banquet there shall be a head table and table microphone.
- Provision for a sufficient number of six-foot tables for the promotion displays. These should be in or near the main meeting room.
- Room for advertisers display booths. A well-lighted room close to the general session, equipped with table and table covers.
- Chairperson is responsible for the firm commitment with the hotel and must see that advance registration cards and brochures for the members and advertisers are supplied to the attendance chairperson. Local newspapers may be asked to provide assistance in connection with registration and setup.
- The Conference Chairperson must work with the local Conference Chairperson, President and Program Chairperson, and on information from the various chairpersons, to see that all essentials are available for each phase of the Conference.
- All arrangements must be approved by the Conference committee. Expenses must be approved by the President and the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Update website with current conference information.
- Report to the Board of Directors at each board meeting.
Description – The By-Laws Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – It is the function of the Constitution and By-Laws Committee Chairperson to keep the constitution and by-laws updated and institute any action required to bring about necessary changes.
- Attend each I-SCMA Board of Directors Meeting.
- Study the By-Laws to determine whether any changes are necessary to maintain the functions of I-SCMA within the prescribed constitutional framework.
- Review all proposed changes and by-laws with the Board of Directors and present such changes to the general membership in accordance with the constitution.
Description – A director is elected a member of the Board of Directors. Directors shall serve for a period of two years. There will be six directors with three elected each year.
General Functions – Conduct, control and manage the affairs of the InterState Circulation’s Mangers association.
- Each member of the Board shall endeavor to attend all meetings; regular and special.
- The Officers and the Board of Directors shall approve the place and date for the annual conference.
- The Board shall fill vacancies in any elected office.
- The Officers and Board of Directors have the final decision on all policy making.
- The Board votes on all business.
- The Board shall have the power to expel any member who shall willfully or carelessly violate any provisions of the by-laws and constitution.
- The Board shall assign to the officers any duties pertaining to their office.
- The Board shall pass on all applications of membership.
- The Board shall periodically review and study the annual dues and the general financial structure of the entire organization and pass on any recommendations for change in the financial structure, either revenue or expenditures.
Description – The First Vice-President shall be elected for one year having served in the capacity of Second Vice-President.
General Functions – The First Vice-President shall discharge the duties of the President in case of his absence or disability.
- The First Vice-President shall be the Chairman of the Program Committee.
- The First Vice-President shall attend all Board of Director’s meetings and submit a program report to the Directors.
Description – The Membership Committee Chairperson shall be appointed by the President and shall serve for one year.
General Functions – The Chairperson shall keep a constant up-to-date listing of the membership and also the non-member newspapers within the territory served by I-SCMA and shall recruit new members.
- To recruit new members for I-SCMA with our organization and non-member newspapers within our area.
- To present new member to the Board of Directors for approval and forward dues payments to the Secretary-Treasurer. New membership lists shall be forwarded to the program chairperson for inclusion on the program for induction.
- To present new members to the conference.
- To be responsible that new members become acquainted with the group.
- To submit a report to Board of Directors at each Board meeting.
NEWSPAPER CARRIER COMMITTEE
Description – The Newspaper Carrier Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – The Newspaper Carrier Committee Chairperson should keep all members of the I-SCMA advised on all new ideas and materials available concerning the up-grading of our carrier image and urge promotion of same. Also that which might affect adversely the present and future delivery system of the daily newspaper.
- To promote the welfare of newspaper carriers in every way possible in the I-SCMA area.
- To encourage I-SCMA members to promote National Newspaper Carrier Day as much as possible.
- To alert I-SCMA members to anything which endangers the Little Merchant plan.
- To inform the members of the I-SCMA of what other members are doing to promote newspaper carriers.
- To report to the Board of Directors at each meeting.
Description – The Nominating Committee Chairperson shall be the current Chairperson of the Board.
General Functions – It is the responsibility of the Nominating Committee Chairperson to select candidates for Officers and Directors.
- The Nominating Committee should always be comprised of not less than three of the most recent Past Presidents.
- To query all Past Presidents for suggestions and recommendations.
- To encourage the more capable and interested members of the I-SCMA membership to prepare themselves for I-SCMA positions of responsibility in participation of association activities.
- The Nominating Committee’s report to the conference should include a summary of work done and specific nominations for Officers and Directors.
- To report to the Board of Directors at each Board meeting.
Description – The Past President’s Committee Chairperson will be the immediate Past President of the Association.
General Functions – The Past President’s Committee Chairperson shall serve the association as may be deemed advisable by the Officers and Directors; and to provide ready assistance and support to the President and Officers.
- Plan meetings for the Past Presidents.
- Induct the newest Past President into the club.
- Help with the Conference as the Officers and Directors may deem necessary.
- To promote good will.
- To take special attention of all new members and they shall encourage all past presidents to do like-wise.
- To reflect a good image of the Association and all its activities.
- Recommend to the Board of Directors members who show any special interest in the Association, its activities, and special projects.
- To be the eyes and ears for the Board, for the betterment of the conference, its program or association.
- To report to the Board of Directors at each Board meeting.
Description – The President shall be elected for one year after having served in the capacity of Vice-President.
General Functions – The President shall preside at all meetings of the Association; and along with the other officers and Board of Directors shall control the affairs of the Association.
- The President shall appoint all committee chairpersons as provided in the Constitution and by-laws and this procedure manual. This should be accomplished by the first regular board meeting.
- The President will distribute copies of each officer’s duties and responsibilities together with a copy of the Constitution and By-law of each newly appointed officer.
- The President shall preside at all meetings.
- The President shall furnish leadership to the organization.
- The President shall follow through and make sure all officers, directors, and committee chairpersons are fulfilling their responsibilities.
- The President shall perform all duties, which the Board of Directors may assign.
- The President shall submit association updates via the website, as appropriate.
- The President should attend and support all association functions and training seminars. A $500 stipend has been provided for this purpose.
Description – The First Vice-President shall be the Program Committee Chairperson and shall serve for one year.
General Functions – It is the function of the Program Chairperson to produce the entire program for the conference.
- To plan the program for the entire conference; to select topics and the methods of presentation.
- To arrange the time for each phase of the program allowing time for the necessary business functions and arranging the time to keep the program alive and diversified.
- To select, invite, and confirm the speakers and participant in the program.
- To appoint workshop and round table groups chairperson who will select discussion leaders.
- To invite special guests, as appropriate, to the conference.
- To provide report of proposed conference program to the President and the Board of Directors at each Board meeting, as appropriate.
- If expenses are encountered, to get approval of the President and Board.
- To keep conference chairperson informed of entire program and of any need for audio/visual aids at the conference.
- To keep the Attendance Chairperson informed of program in time to promote attendance.
- To keep the website updated as appropriate.
- To report to the Board of Directors at all Board meetings.
Description – The Promotion Display Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – The Promotion Display Committee Chairperson arranges and promotes annual competition involving circulation sales and public relations campaigns produced by member newspapers.
- To establish the rules for the current year’s promotion and competition, including subject matter, size of displays, awards, classifications, deadline dates, etc.
- To promote participation in awards program through the mail, direct contact, and the website in advance of the conference.
- To send members all the necessary information such as rules, categories of entries, deadlines and special instructions involving submission of entries 90 days prior to the conference.
- To arrange entries at the conference and supervise the displays of all entries during the meeting.
- To arrange for and supervise the judging of the entries.
- To arrange for the awards and present them to the winners.
- To file a report of all activities of the committee at the first Board meeting following the Conference.
- To periodically review awards programs and recommend changes to the President.
- Obtain approval for expenditure from the Secretary-Treasurer.
Description – The Research Committee Chairperson shall be appointed by the President and shall serve for one year.
General Functions– The Chairperson periodically conducts research and surveys to support the needs, growth, and direction of the Association.
- To encourage open communication and feedback throughout the Association.
- To conduct periodic surveys to identify potential levels of interest in program topics, roundtable agendas, training needs, and industry trends.
- To obtain feedback on industry trends from other sectionals and trade associations.
- To support the Officers and the Board of Directors in obtaining membership feedback on timely topics of interest and direction of I-SCMA.
- Shall report to the Board of Directors at each board meeting.
Description – The Resolutions and Necrology Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – The Resolutions and Necrology Committee Chairperson shall see that an expression of sympathy is sent to the family of any I-SCMA member who passes away. It would also be the chairperson’s responsibility to draft the various resolutions, which are passed at a conference, read them to the conference at large and move they be accepted.
- Shall consult with the President and other officers at each conference to determine what resolutions are necessary.
- Shall draft the wording or these resolutions.
- Shall present these resolutions to the membership, offering a motion that they be adopted.
- Shall give the Secretary a copy of these resolutions for the minutes of the meeting.
- Shall give a report at each Board of Directors meeting.
- Shall maintain communications with the I-SCMA members asking them to keep the chairperson informed of the illness of death of any member.
- Shall immediately notify all officers of the Association of any death of a member.
- Shall express the proper sympathies to the family of the deceased member.
- Shall send a card, flowers, or fruit to a member in case of a serious illness, as appropriate.
Description – The Second Vice-President is elected for one year.
General Functions – The Second Vice-President shall discharge the duties of the President in case of the President or First Vice President’s absence or disability.
- The Second Vice-President shall serve as Advertising Committee Chair.
Description – The Secretary-Treasurer is elected by the members and shall serve for one year and may be re-elected.
General Functions – The Secretary-Treasurer is responsible for all records, correspondence, billing, monies, minutes, printing, and any other duties assigned by the Board of Directors.
- The Secretary-Treasurer, in conjunction with the Membership Committee, shall bill all members for dues, and record and deposit all monies received.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall maintain a mailing list of all members and assist the Membership Committee.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall see that all forms including letterheads, envelopes, invoices, statements, etc., are printed and sent to the committee chairpersons on request.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall pay all bills of the Association upon presentation of proper invoices and receipts and maintain complete records of deposits including amount, date, and source of income. Balance bank statement each month and maintain all records for the Auditing Committee.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall answer all correspondence as soon as possible and maintain close relationship with secretaries of other associations. Exchange bulletins with other sectionals.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall obtain a gift up to a maximum of $300 for the outgoing President.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall purchase the gavel for the incoming President. See that proper lettering is engraved on the gavel.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall work with the Conference Committee Chair at conferences and instruct clerks on registration procedures plus check page tallies and totals against the cash and checks received at registration.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall know the Constitution and By-laws so that all association business is conducted in accordance with same.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall take detailed minutes at the Board of Directors meetings and report the minutes of the preceding meeting; take detailed minutes of the general sessions; and, all matters brought to vote before the general membership.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall prepare a detailed report of all the financial transactions of the Association and send to the Auditing Committee annually. Responsible for maintaining all records pertaining to the affairs of the association; and all supporting vouchers, checks, bank statements, deposits and up-to-date savings account book.
- Secretary-Treasurer shall prepare and deliver at each Board of Directors meeting and general membership meeting a report of the financial condition of the Association including all income, disbursements, and cash on hand and savings, and net worth of the Association.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall obtain properly signed signature cards for the checking account at the fall meeting, to include the President and Secretary-Treasurer. All checks in excess of $2,500 must bear two signatures, the President and Secretary-Treasurer. Procedures must conform to State banking regulations.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall maintain a list of all members and guests attending the conference.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall assist the Conference Chair in making arrangements with hotels, as necessary. Secretary-Treasurer shall sign all contractual obligations and take responsibility for fulfillment of the agreement.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall prepare and send address labels to officers and committee chairperson who request them.
- Secretary-Treasurer shall be responsible for and sign all financial contracts and agreements obligating and binding the Association.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall submit appropriate notices to the website.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall receive a $2,500 annual expense re-imbursement.
Description – The Sergeant-at-Arms shall be appointed by the President and shall serve for one year.
General Functions – The Sergeant-at-Arms shall be the keeper of the I-SCMA Standards (State Flags) plus the flag of the United States of America. In addition, shall be charged with the responsibility of pre-conference planning necessary to assure an orderly and professional convention.
- Shall attend Board Meetings and any other meetings called by the President.
- Shall arrive at meetings and conferences sufficiently in time to place the I-SCMA standards plus the flag of the United States of America at the appropriate location at the conference venue.
- Shall follow I-SCMA Constitution and By-laws as to who is eligible to attend all meetings and business sessions of the conference and enforce same.
- Will be responsible to see that tickets are properly distributed for door prizes and he/she will supervise the drawing.
- Will assist in arranging prizes to be given at the banquet and conduct the drawing.
- Will supply tickets and prizes to Seminar Leaders for drawings at various Seminar groups, if appropriate.
- Shall be readily available to all Officers, Committee members, and guests to assure that accommodations, social, and business affairs are run orderly.
- Shall be responsible that all displays, both advertisers and members exhibits are properly removed by the owners at the end of the conference.
- Shall assist the various Officers, Committee members and Conference Committee Chair Secretary with physical equipment for conducting a successful meeting.
- Report to the Board of Directors at each Board Meeting.
Description – The State and National Regulations Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – The State and National Regulations Committee Chairperson will research new regulations affecting the newspaper industry and report these findings to the Officers, Board of Directors, and General Membership of the Association.
- Shall solicit from the membership information on any local or National legislation pending or passed which may affect the distribution or marketing interest of the Newspaper Industry.
- With approval of the Board of Directors, shall direct and coordinate a lobbying effort through the Association on any legislation, which adversely impacts the membership’s interests.
- Shall report any activity of the committee to the Board of Directors..
- Shall collaborate with the organization’s designated legal counsel to post pertinent information to the website.
Description – The Training Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – Shall make arrangements for training seminars and webinars.
- Shall receive approval from the Board for specific Workshops/webinars and fees. Shall furnish the Board with all the details, and suggested budgets.
- Shall make arrangements for instructor’s materials and shall confirm the dates.
- Shall keep the President and Treasurer informed of program (via copies of correspondence), and forward all checks to the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Shall promote the Workshop/webinar through the website, direct mail, phone and personal calls, as appropriate.
- Shall make arrangements for audio-visual equipment needed.
- Shall follow up the session with a report to the officers and Directors.
Description – The Website Committee Chairperson is appointed by the President and serves for one year.
General Functions – Promote I-SCMA to members and newspaper professionals by maintaining a robust website consistent with the needs of those professionals.
- Ensure that the website – iscma.org – is online and available at all times by coordinating with the Secretary-Treasurer to keep current all domain registration and hosting fees.
- Post accurate and professional information in keeping with the highest ethical standards given that iscma.org is the digital face of the organization.
- Understand and/or be proficient in HTML and website maintenance, or have access to resources that can provide necessary technical expertise.
- Monitor website usage reports to track patterns and identify opportunities, and report to the Board on a regular basis.
- Make suggestions to the President and Board for improving the website.
- Be paid an annual stipend commensurate with the work necessary to make the website successful.
- Work with all Directors to present information for them on the website as requested.
- Maintain the electronic, opt-in mail list, and make that list available to Directors for promoting conference-related or other activities.
- Keep a complete and up-to-date back up of the online version of the website in case of ISP failure.
- Immediately following the annual conference, update all information on the website to reflect new Directors, chair appointments, etc.
- At the annual conference, and as needed throughout the year, provide technical assistance to the organization as needed, including, but not limited to, coordinating technology resources for presenters.
- Report immediately to the President, First and Second Vice Presidents, Secretary-Treasurer of any theft of user information or inappropriate use of the website or email list.